Every game you play on Xbox will be referred to by your Xbox Gamertag. This is the name that appears in all of your games, achievements and other information related to your account.
A default gamertag is assigned to your Xbox Live account when you create it for the first time. You can change it at any time.
Table of Contents
To Change your GamerTag:
- Press the Xbox button on your controller.
- Select “Settings” from the menu.
- Select “Change my gamer tag”.
- Enter your new gamertag.
- Click “Save” when finished.
- If you have more than one Xbox 360 console, you may need to repeat steps 1-5 for each console.
- Check off the box next to “Allow me to use my current gamertag with friends who don’t know my new gamertag”.
- Save changes.
- Go back to the main screen and sign in using your new gamertag (or continue signing in with your old gamertag).
Changing Your Xbox Gamertag on PC
If you are playing games on Windows 7 or later, you can also change your gamertag there. To do so, follow these steps:
- Type in your new gamertag and click OK.
- Sign out of your Microsoft account.
- Log back into your Microsoft account as usual.
- When you log back into your Microsoft account, you should see your new gamertag listed under your profile picture.
How to Change Your Gamertag on iOS Devices
You can change your gamertag on iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads. Follow these steps:
- Tap “Your Name” and enter your new gamertag here.
- Tap “Sign Out“.
- Tap “Sign In” again and tap “Use Existing Account.”
- Tap “Continue” and then tap “Done.”
- Tap “OK” to confirm.
- Tap “Done” to finish changing your gamertag.
- Once you’ve changed your gamertag, go back to the home screen and sign in with your new gamertag (or if you’re already signed in, just sign out and sign back in).
FAQs on Changing Xbox GamerTag
Q: After creating my gamertag, can I change it?
Q: How do I recover my password if I forget it?
A: Your new password will be emailed to you when you forget your current one. Once you enter your new password, you will be able to log back into your profile.
Q: Is there a reason why my gamertag keeps reverting back to its original value?
A: As a result, at times, our systems get confused about the gamertag you should use. We’re working hard to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Meanwhile, you may achieve a better result by logging out of your profile and logging back in again.
The Xbox One has been available for less than two weeks now, but Microsoft already knows how important your gamertag is to you. It’s the way you identify yourself online, so it’s no surprise that they want to make sure you’re happy with it. They also want to ensure that you’re comfortable sharing it with others. That’s why they made it easy to change your gamertag whenever you like.
If you have any questions about how to change your gamertags, please feel free to ask us in the comments below.