How To Disable Windows Defender In Windows 10/8.1/8/8/7 (2021) – Windows Defender is Microsoft’s native antivirus, whose function is to scan and find malware in the various files and programs on the computer? Moreover, it has the ability to protect your computer instantly by detecting malicious or unwanted files in real-time, thus having control over everything that is downloaded or executed.
The function of the antivirus is to protect any computer against the threats it may encounter. We are constantly using pages that may contain code that interferes with the device and which then uses the information stored there.
That is why you should always have a security system to protect your computer. The advantage of having this software is that it will warn you when it detects an irregular situation, so that you can solve it or that in its default this one resolves it automatically.
If you want to know how Windows Defender works and how to turn it on and off in different versions of Windows, read on and follow the procedures below. Also through this article, you can decide if you want to use Microsoft’s antivirus or if you prefer to use another one.
How To Disable Windows Defender In Windows 10/8.1/8/8/7
Steps To Temporarily Disable Windows Defender
It often happens that when activating the antivirus, it prevents the installation of a program in the computer. Because depending on the origin of this, the firewall may see it as malicious code, even if it is not. This antivirus has the particularity of restricting certain downloads and installations if it considers them suspicious.
That is why it is sometimes necessary to deactivate it by following these steps:
- Go to the Start menu, followed by “Control Panel”
- Then go to “System and Security” and click on “Activity Center“.
- If you want to access the “Activity Center” faster, you can select the shield or flag that appears in the taskbar and it will take you quickly.
- In the window below, in the “Security” section. It will show protection against spyware and unwanted software.
- As it is activated, you only have to select it by clicking on it to open the antivirus settings, and click on “Deactivate Now“.
How To Turn Off Windows Defender In Windows 10/8.1/8/8/7
To turn off Windows Defender completely, one of the easiest and most efficient ways to do it is to use “Registry Editor”, which is the computer’s database. This is because it is factory-installed software, so if you just deactivate it, it will be reactivated.
Note that before performing this step, it is important to disable all native Windows firewall services, such as real-time protection, account protection, and network protection. Once disabled, the antivirus can be permanently removed.
You can access the Windows Defender setup by pressing Windows + R keys. Another alternative is to go to the start menu search bar and type “Run“.
Then you will need to write the word “Regedit” without quotes, followed by “Accept “.
In the “Registry Editor” window that opens, locate the following address by clicking on each drop-down menu:
- “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Policies / Microsoft / Windows Defender“.
- Right-click on the blank window, press “New” and locate the following: DWORD (32-bit) value.
- In the value that was created, put a name to identify it, for example: “Disable antivirus“.
- Then open it and right-click, modify the value information by number 1.
- Finally, accept and you will have Windows Antivirus disabled.
How do I turn off Windows Defender alert notifications?
Sometimes it is a bit annoying when computer alert notifications appear all the time. In particular, if this software finds malicious code, it issues a warning until it is reviewed and fixed, especially if the antivirus is disabled since it does so as a defense mechanism.
- Enter the “Control Panel “of the computer. If you can’t find it in the Start menu. You can type it in the Windows search bar.
- Then, in your computer’s configuration settings, go to the “System and Security” section.
- Click on the “Activity Center“next to a blue flag. You can also click on “Security and maintenance“.
- Another way to quickly access it is through the “taskbar“where a white flag or shield appears.
- Once there, you can configure Windows Defender notifications.
- To stop receiving notifications, simply select the option “Disable virus protection messages” and you will no longer automatically receive virus alerts.
Video – How to Disable Windows Defender – Windows 10
How to activate Windows Defender
It is sometimes necessary for a computer to have an antivirus enabled on its system. In this case, Windows Defender is Microsoft’s default security program that helps protect your computer from various types of malware. If you disable it, you can re-enable it by following these steps:
- On the Home screen and in the search box, type “Windows Defender “. Click on the antivirus icon and open it.
- Under the “Settings” tab, click “Real-time protection” in the left pane.
- Select “Use real-time protection (recommended)” then ”Save changes“. This will activate and protect your computer again.
If Windows Defender is not activated, what are the alternatives to protect my computer?
If you don’t want to use this firewall as an antivirus for your computer, you can download any other software that provides the necessary security to protect your computer from all kinds of files and malware.
Many times they download different antivirus trying to look for the most efficient one, and even some people choose to install more than one thought, that is why the computer is more protected, but it is not recommended because it only manages to overload the PC which makes its functioning is compromised. For this reason in this list you will see the best antivirus for Windows 10, 8, and 7, so you can choose the one you want.
McAfee Antivirus Plus
It is antivirus software specialized in computer security. In addition to providing firewall protection, this includes backing up the computer at the time of installation on it.
One of the benefits of McAfee is that it prevents attacks before they happen through alerts on websites with links and downloads that it considers unsafe. It constantly performs scans and updates based on its database in the cloud where the device is protected, just as it does when the computer is idle.
Avast Free Antivirus
It is one of the most complete antiviruses for Microsoft. It contains security services for computers and browsers, as well as anti-virus, anti-phishing, anti-spyware and anti-spam software, among others.
It also incorporates other options that are very favorable, for example, includes a tool called Sandbox that allows the browser to store information virtually without risking the computer. Also, the WebRep system, which by its operation determines the level of danger that could have this website that you want to access, qualifying them with different colors.
If you are wondering which is better “Windows Defender vs Avast” I prefer Avast, it is more comprehensive.
AVG AntiVirus Free
It is an antivirus system available for the Windows operating system. AVG is particularly capable of removing any malicious element from the computer, such as spyware, malware, and others.
Thanks to its alert system, it alerts you to dangerous internet links and blocks them, thus keeping your computer safe. It does the same with emails that contain harmful files.
It is computer security software that protects the equipment from any danger. This antivirus can clean the hard drive to free up space and any content that violates security.
On the other hand, it protects you from dangerous links and downloads while browsing the internet and protects your connection keys on the platforms you use the most. It also stops current and future threats and even automatically blocks download if it finds threats.