Wordle is an online tool that allows you to create word clouds from text data. It’s free and easy to use, but it can also be used for some pretty cool things like creating visual representations of your blog posts or social media content.
In this tutorial I’ll show you how to make the most out of Wordle by using it in creative ways.
What is Wordle?
Wordle is a website where you can create word clouds from text. You can choose any piece of text (from anywhere on the web) and then click “Create Word Cloud” to get a cloud with all the words in the selected text highlighted. The size of each word represents its frequency in the original text.
- You can save your word clouds as images or export them into other formats such as HTML, PDF, CSV, etc.
- You can even share your word clouds via Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, Pinterest, StumbleUpon and more!
How to Use Wordle?
- Click “Create Word Cloud” at the top of the page and enter your text. Your word cloud will be created. To get started, go to www.wordle.net and sign up for an account.
- We’ll take a look at some examples of Wordle now that you’re ready to play around with it.
Example 1 – Make a Word Cloud from the title of your blog post
Using the title of a blog post, you can create a word cloud.
- Become a Wordle member by visiting www.wordle.net.
- Copy/Paste the title of your blog post into the box at the top of the screen.
- Click “Create Wordcloud.”
- Save the image to your computer.
- Share it on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or whatever else you want.
Example 2 – Create a WordCloud Using Social Media Content
Here we’ll see how to create a wordcloud from tweets. This will give us a quick way to visualize what people are saying about our brand.
Step: 1 – Go to www.wordle.net and sign up for free.
Step: 2 – Paste your tweet into the box at the bottom of the page. 3. Click “Create WordCloud.” 4. Save the image to a folder on your computer. 5. Share it on Twitter or wherever you’d like.
How does wordle work?
- The process behind wordle is fairly simple. When you paste your text into the box, Wordle automatically selects the first paragraph of your text. Once you’ve pasted your text, click the button labeled “Create Word Cloud.”
- After clicking the button, Wordle will analyze your text and highlight every word in the selection. Words that appear less frequently in the original text will be smaller than those that appear more often.
- If you want to change the font color of the words, click on the little arrow next to the word. There are several different colors available. If you want to remove a word from the word cloud, hover over it and click the red crosshairs icon.
- When you’re done playing around with Wordle, click the “Save” button to download your wordcloud.
- That’s it! Now you know how to use Wordle to create awesome word clouds. Have fun!
What is the best word to start with in wordle?
I would say the best word to start off with is “the”, because it’s the most common word in English. It’s also the longest word in the English language.
What is the best word to end with in wordle?
The best ending I think is “a ”, because it’s the shortest word in the English language and it’s the only letter that doesn’t have a vowel sound.
Wordle Tips & Tricks
Word clouds can be customized in many ways. Here are some tips on how to maximize their potential.
Use Bold Text
Bold text makes a word bigger and easier to read. To make a word bold, click on the word and select “Bold” from the drop down menu.
You can choose any color you want by selecting “Color” from the drop down list. You can even add a background color by selecting “Background Color” from the same list.
Change Background Image
The background image of the word cloud can be changed by clicking the “Image” tab at the top. Choose a new image from the dropdown menu, then click “Apply.”
Change Font Size
To increase or decrease the size of the fonts in a word cloud, simply click on the word and drag the slider to the right or left.
Emojis are great additions to word clouds. They allow users to express themselves better and they look really cool.
When you click the “Emoji” tab at the top, a pop-up window will appear asking you to select an emoji. Click the emoji you wish to add, then click the “OK” button.
Share Your Word Clouds Online
Once you’ve created a word cloud, you can share it online. Simply copy the URL (address) of the word cloud and post it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, etc.
How to Play Wordle Like a Pro?
Step 1: If you don’t already have a Wordle account, sign up for one now. Here’s what you should see once you’ve signed up:
Step 2: We are going to make our first Wordle now. Go to the top left hand corner of the page and click on the “Create” button. You will then be presented with a blank canvas where you can draw words.
Step 3: The next step is to choose what kind of cloud you want to draw. There are three options available:
- The Classic Cloud – This is the default option and is the easiest way to get started. Just click on the “Classic Cloud” icon and type in whatever you’d like to put into the cloud.
- The Tag Cloud – If you would like to add tags to your cloud you can do so here. Simply click on the tag cloud icon and select which tags you’d like to include.
- The Category Cloud – If you’d like to group related terms together you can do so here as well. Simply click on the category cloud icon and select which categories you’d like to include in your cloud.
- Once you’ve made your selection click on the “OK” button at the bottom left corner of the screen. Your new cloud will appear on the canvas.
Step 4: You may notice that there are two different colors of text in the cloud. These represent the number of times each term was used. To change the color simply hover over any part of the cloud and click on the small arrow next to the color bar. A menu will pop up allowing you to select a new color.
Step 5: You can now begin adding words to your cloud. To do this just click anywhere inside the cloud and drag your mouse around until you see a little “+” symbol. Then release the mouse and the word will be added to the cloud.
Step 6: If you’d like to remove a word from the cloud simply double-click on it.
Step 7: You can save your cloud by clicking on the “Save” button located at the bottom right hand side of the page.
Step 8: On the top left hand corner of the page, click on “View” to view your saved cloud.
Step 9: To share your cloud with others you can copy the URL below the image by clicking on the “Share” button.
Step 10: That’s all there is to it! Now go ahead and play around with Wordle and try making some really interesting word clouds!
FAQs – Wordle Today
Q: How do I edit my cloud?
A: Double-clicking on a word will bring up a menu allowing you to delete, move, or resize the word.
Q: What does the + and – icons mean?
A: When you hover over these icons they will display a list of other words that were frequently used together. For example, when you hover over the + icon in the picture above you’ll see that the most popular combination is “and”.
Q: Why doesn’t my cloud look exactly like the ones on Wordle?
A: Because every time you create a new cloud it will use a unique set of words. So even though you might think that your cloud looks similar to someone else’s, chances are it won’t match 100%.
Q: Can I make my own cloud?
A: Yes! You can find instructions for creating your own cloud by visiting our help section.
Q: Is Wordle safe?
A: Yes, we take security very seriously. We never store any information about you or your friends. And if you ever have any questions about how Wordle works please visit our FAQs page.
Wordles are a great way to visualize data by generating visual summaries that are easy to understand.
If you have any comments or suggestions, we would love to hear them. Please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment below.